Ligonier Valley Library is located in Ligonier, Pennsylvania and serves a local population of approximately 13,500 people. As a member library of the Westmoreland County Federated Library System, the library serves all residents of Westmoreland County, PA.
Job Summary: Ligonier Valley Library is seeking an energetic and dynamic Children’s Librarian. The ideal candidate will be forward-thinking and adept at planning with strong technical, communication, project management and networking skills. We are looking for a fun and engaging individual who is willing to think outside the box and make new programs, collections and ideas a reality. This candidate will work closely with the Youth Services staff and Library Director to execute the Library’s mission.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and implementing all aspects of programming for children and youth;
- Independently creating, planning and facilitating youth-driven, project-based programs and workshops that are designed to build skills in digital media, STEM, the maker movement and new emerging technologies for pre-school and school age children and their families;
- Supporting, encouraging and creating a community of readers through partnerships with local educational institutions and organizations working with children.
- Selecting, purchasing and cataloging new materials for the juvenile collection.
- Providing high quality customer service to a diverse public and staff in accordance with Ligonier Valley Library’s Philosophy and Standards of Service;
- Providing basic readers’ advisory and references services;
- Communicating with, collaborating with and supporting Children’s Services and related staff at the Westmoreland County Library Network.
- Master’s degree in library or information science from an ALA-accredited institution and/or Bachelor’s degree; preferably in Library Science, Elementary Education or related field;
- PA State Criminal Background Check, PA Child Abuse History Clearance, FBI Fingerprint Criminal Records Check and Mandated Reporter Training upon offer of employment
- Ability to take direction and work both independently and as a part of a team;
- Awareness of current children’s bestsellers and literary trends;
- A strong desire for and experience in community engagement;
- Demonstrated experience working with patrons of all ages in a public setting;
- Ability to facilitate children in creative technology and learning;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; experience with grant writing a plus.
- Knowledge of current technologies and electronic resources; online catalog, Windows and MS Office; cataloging skills a plus.
- Must be adaptable to changing work hours. Must be willing to work evenings and weekends, including Sundays.
- Moderate to substantial physical effort is required to perform duties under typical work conditions. The Children’s Librarian is sometimes required to lift and or move 25+ pounds, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Salary and Benefits Information provided upon request
Interested applicants should send a letter of introduction and resume to: Janet Hudson, Ligonier Valley Library, 120 West Main Street, Ligonier, PA 15658. Inquiries and resumes may also be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org