North Versailles Public Library
Job Title: Library Director
Reports to: Library Board of Directors
As the chief administrator of the library, the Director plans, organizes, directs, evaluates, and
reviews the library’s resources, personnel, facilities, service and programs to respond to the
needs of the community. The Director operates under the supervision of the Library Board of
Directors. Work includes developing and managing budget resources, planning and implementing
overall library goals and objectives, and oversight of staff and services.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend all Library Board and ACLA meetings. Inform the Board of current library and system activities, operational or facility changes, and other issues that might require Board attention.
- Develop and coordinate projects that impact all areas of library operations and services.
- Cultivate relationships and partnerships within the community.
- Hire, train, supervise, and monitor the performance of paid staff and volunteers.
- Oversee the maintenance of the Library’s collection, including purchasing, cataloging and weeding materials.
- Stay abreast of new trends and innovations in public libraries; evaluate possible areas for growth and experimentation within the Library.
- Research and apply for grants that support the Library’s mission.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the development, implementation and evaluation of public library policies, procedures and standards of service.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local regulations governing public libraries.
- Knowledge of current trends in library services, programming and technology.
- Knowledge of budget development and administration.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to respond to and resolve complex issues and complaints from the public and staff.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with others.
- Ability to develop and implement library goals, objectives, policies and procedures.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The work characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to stoop, bend and reach.
- Ability to work in an environment subject to continuous interruptions and background noises.
- Ability to lift/move up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to meet a flexible schedule that includes evening and weekend hours.
- Ability to travel to meetings throughout Allegheny County.
- MLS from an ALA-accredited school or a Bachelor’s degree with 9 credits of library science is required.
- At least one year of experience working in a library
- Familiarity with working in a library system and meeting both county and state requirements.
- Current driver’s license required
This position can be either part time or full time and hourly rate is based on experience. To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to Cindy Coles at email@example.com