TRAFFORD COMMUNITY LIBRARY
The Trafford Community Public Library, located in western Westmoreland County, is searching for a customer-oriented leader to serve as its Director. The ideal candidate will be highly engaged in the community, have fundraising and grant writing experience, and work toward making the Trafford Community Public Library an indispensable community organization.
The Trafford Community Public Library is located 19 miles from Downtown Pittsburgh and serves over 3,000 residents in western Westmoreland County.
The Library Director will work 20 hours per week, some evenings and weekends required, at a rate of $14.00 per hour.
Job Title: Library Director
As the chief administrator of the library, the Director plans, organizes, directs, evaluates, and reviews the library’s resources, personnel, facilities, service and programs to respond to the needs of the community. The Director operates under the supervision of the Library Board of Directors. Work includes developing and managing budget resources, planning and implementing overall library goals and objectives, and oversight of staff and services.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend all Library Board and WCFLS Library Director’s meetings. Inform the Board of current library and system activities, operational or facility changes, and other issues that might require Board attention.
- Develop and coordinate projects that impact all areas of library operations and services.
- Cultivate relationships and partnerships within the community.
- Hire, train, supervise, and monitor the performance of paid staff and volunteers.
- Oversee the maintenance of the Library’s collection, including purchasing, cataloging and weeding materials.
- Stay abreast of new trends and innovations in public libraries; evaluate possible areas for growth and experimentation within the Library.
- Research and apply for grants that support the Library’s mission.
- Plan fundraising events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the development, implementation and evaluation of public library policies, procedures and standards of service.
- Event and program planning start to finish.
- Knowledge of technology including maintaining a website.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local regulations governing public libraries.
- Knowledge of current trends in library services, programming and technology.
- Knowledge of budget development and administration.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to respond to and resolve complex issues and complaints from the public and staff.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with others.
- Ability to develop and implement library goals, objectives, policies and procedures.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The work characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to stoop, bend and reach.
- Ability to work in an environment subject to continuous interruptions and background noises.
- Ability to lift/move up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to meet a flexible schedule that includes evening and weekend hours.
- Ability to travel to meetings, both within and outside of library service area.
This position requires a two-year degree and nine library credits. Library experience is required.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com.