Murrysville Community Library
4130 Sardis Road
Murrysville, PA 15668
The Murrysville Community Library’s mission is to inspire ideas, enrich lives, and create lifelong opportunities for learning, literacy and enjoyment.
POSITION: Acquisitions and Technical Services Assistant
REPORTS TO: Coordinator of Acquisitions and Technical Services
GENERAL SUMMARY: Works closely with Coordinator of Acquisitions and Technical Services to process library material for circulation and repair damaged items. This is a part-time position with twenty-six hours per week. Compensation is $9.50 per hour.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: Graduation from high school or possession of a GED, preferably supplemented by a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in a related field. Library work experience required. Pennsylvania Driver’s license required. Must have form of reliable transportation to and from work. Upon receiving an offer candidate must have Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, Pennsylvania State Police Background Check, and FBI Fingerprint Background Check. The cost for clearances can be refunded upon completion of a ninety-day probationary period and submission of current receipts.
The requirements listed as follows are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform this job successfully:
- Knowledge of: general cataloging practices and procedures, library classification systems and automated circulation systems (Polaris preferred), Microsoft office software, computer and iPad equipment, the principals of library practices and procedures and general bibliographic information and the publishing industry.
- Skilled in: great attention to detail, database searching and using library automation systems (Polaris preferred), using Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Publisher and Power Point, and troubleshooting computer equipment, printers, and copiers.
- Ability to: be courteous and tactful with the general public, to communicate effectively verbally and in writing, establish and maintain working relationships with patrons, employees and the general public, to implement policy and procedure, to exercise initiative and judgment in completing tasks, and to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to: work a flexible schedule that includes Saturdays and evenings as needed, lift and move up to 45 pounds, and to move books and materials from both higher and lower shelves, provide close attention to detail despite interruptions, to set priorities and meet deadlines.
A. Acquisitions and Tech:
- Work closely with Acquisitions and Technical Services Librarian, and pass WCFLS catalog certification
- Review cataloging information in database, print call numbers for library materials, responsible for all processing and repairing of library materials
- Become familiar with OverDrive platform, functionality, and e-content
- Must be incredibly detail oriented
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteers to perform work
- Enter data into the materials selection database for use in ordering and cataloging
- Assist with data entry for received material
- Sort material on mending shelf for replacement, repair, rebinding, or discard
- Assist in weeding
- Maintain inventory and prepare order lists for all processing and mending supplies in accordance with library budget
- Receive and sort book donations.
B. Management Activities:
- Prepare monthly and annual statistic reports as required
- Keep immediate supervisor and designated staff fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems, reviews policies and procedures and recommends revisions as needed.
C. Staff Support:
- Assist at the circulation desk as required,
- Help patrons use the library
- Perform opening and closing routines as required
- Maintain a neat and safe work area
- Maintain adequate supplies
- Keeps equipment in good working order
- Perform duties as requested by the Library Director.
D. Continuing Education:
- Keep current on trends and technology development affecting acquisitions and technical services through professional journals, social media, listservs and networking
- Attend professional meetings, conferences and workshops to maintain professional growth and development.
The Murrysville Community Library, a suburban library 28 miles east of Pittsburgh, serves a population of 27,000 with a collection of 63,000 items and an annual circulation of approximately 140,000. We have a staff of 5 FTE, 6 PTE, 4 pages, and use over 80 volunteers in a variety of ways.
Please email cover letter, résumé, and three professional references to Library Director Emma Beaver at firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Coordinator of Acquisitions and Technical Services, Susan Lyons, at email@example.com.