New Florence Community Library
122 Ligonier St.
New Florence, PA 15944
The New Florence Community Library (NFCL), located in Northeast Westmoreland County, is searching for a highly-motivated leader to serve as its director. The director will be responsible for planning, organizing, and managing all phases of the library operations and will work closely with the Library Board of Directors.
NFCL is a member of the Westmoreland County Federated Library System (WCFLS), an alliance of 24-member libraries serving the residents of Westmoreland County.
The Library Director will work a flexible 20 hour a week schedule, with occasional evenings or Saturdays required. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Job Title: Library Director
The Director of the library plans, organizes, directs, evaluates, and reviews the library’s resources, personnel, facilities, services, and programs to respond to the needs of our patrons and the community. The Director works closely with and under the supervision of the Library Board of Directors to develop and manage budgeted resources, plan and implement overall library goals and objectives, and oversee staff and services.
General Duties and Responsibilities
• Attend all Library Board and WCFLS Library Directors’ meetings. Inform the Board of current library and system activities, operational or facility changes, and other issues that might require Board attention.
• Oversee the maintenance of the library’s collection, including purchasing, cataloging and weeding materials.
• Train, supervise, schedule, and monitor the performance of paid staff and volunteers. Implement general offices practices and procedures. Maintain confidentiality.
• Develop and coordinate projects and programs for our patrons and the community.
• Assist the Board with planning and implementation of fundraising activities.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of the development, implementation and evaluation of public library policies, procedures and standards of service. Knowledge of federal, state and local regulations governing public libraries.
• Maintain and update the library website and a social media presence through our Facebook page and other sites and media. Be comfortable with Microsoft Office Suite. Co-ordinate the display of materials and seasonal exhibits.
• Be courteous and tactful with the general public, communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, establish and maintain working relationships with patrons, library staff, Board members, and the general public.
• Have good time management skills with the ability to work independently.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The work characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations can be made.
• Ability to stoop, bend, and reach.
• Ability to work in an environment subject to continuous interruptions and background noises.
• Ability to lift/move up to 25 pounds.
• Ability to meet a flexible schedule that includes some evening and weekend hours.
• Ability to travel to meetings, both within and outside of the library service area. A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required.
60 college credits and the willingness to obtain nine graduate level library science credits within three years of hire. Previous library experience is strongly preferred.
All library positions require criminal background and child abuse clearances.
Applications will be accepted immediately and until the position is filled.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com.