Available Position Title: Library Director
Employer: Penn Area Library
The Penn Area Library Board of Trustees is seeking a forward-thinking, community oriented leader who possesses strong organizational and project management skills. The Director will be responsible for planning, organizing, and managing all phases of the Library operations and reports to the Library Board of Trustees. The Director should have a strong interest in continuing to expand the Library’s programs and services as well as to work closely with the Westmoreland County Network.
The Penn Area Library is located in Penn Township, approximately 30 miles east of Pittsburgh. The Penn Area Library is a public, nonprofit library that serves a population of 20,000. It is a member of the Westmoreland County Federated Library System, an alliance of 24 member libraries serving the residents of Westmoreland County. The Penn Area Library is governed by a seven member Board of Trustees, all who live in the Library’s service area.
Master of Library Science from an accredited American Library Association (ALA) Institution
Candidates should have a minimum of five years prior experience in managing a public library and in working with personnel, local officials, a board of trustees, and community leaders. Candidates should be experienced and successful in budgeting, grant writing, and in both short and long-term planning. Candidates must possess strong organization, communication, marketing, management and computer skills, and have strong interpersonal and supervisory competency.
The candidate should possess the following attributes:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of professional library management, collection development, classification, organization, marketing, staff training and development, general office practices and procedures, and emerging library trends.
- Skill in library database and automation systems, program development and evaluation, project management, strategic planning and budget development, fundraising and grant writing, and public speaking.
- Courteous and tactful, to communicate effectively verbally and in writing, develop and maintain local partnerships, to implement policy and procedure, to exercise initiative and judgment in completing tasks, and to maintain confidentiality.
- Initiates, plans, oversees, and conducts a variety of programs and activities to encourage the use of the library by adults.
- Maintains and cultivates contacts with the general community, schools, other libraries, and Township employees to advance library outreach opportunities.
Member of American Library Association (ALA) and Pennsylvania Library Association (PaLA)
This is a salaried, full time position; some weekend and evening hours will be required.
The salary will be commensurate with the individual’s qualifications and experience. The Penn Area Library offers paid health insurance, paid vacation, and sick leave to its full time employees.
Local travel to community and neighboring library events as well as county and state meetings and conferences. A valid driver’s license is required.
To Apply / Selection Guidelines:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 24, 2021.
No paper copies will be accepted.
All library positions require the following criminal background and child abuse clearances: Report of criminal history from the Pennsylvania State Police, Child Abuse History Clearance from the Department of Human Services, and fingerprint ID based on federal criminal history submitted through the Pennsylvania State Police or its authorized agent (FBI).
Penn Area Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer